John Morgan AICP
Mr. Morgan is a principal of The MorganCPS Group, Inc., a planning and organizational development consulting firm. MorganCPS provides long-range, current, and strategic planning services to many agencies and jurisdictions. Recent clients include Sweet Home, St. Helens, Coos Bay, Wilsonville, Cascade Locks, Estacada, Dundee, Sandy, La Center, and Keizer. He has prepared strategic and development plans for State and County agencies and non-profit organizations. He was the City of Wilsonville’s project manager for the Dammasch Hospital redevelopment project and the master planner for the Villebois Community. Mr. Morgan managed planning, finance, and economic redevelopment programs for the Keizer and Sherwood Urban Renewal Agencies. He has also served numerous private clients in planning and development matters.
Prior to founding MorganCPS in 2002, John acquired broad and increasingly responsible local government and private sector planning experience as summarized below.
• City Manager, City of Sherwood. Revamped local government structure to transform it into one capable of managing rapid growth. New budgeting and financial management processes were implemented resulting in a more financially sound and responsive government structure. He led the City through many strategic processes including establishing an Urban Renewal District.
• Community Development Director and Assistant City Manager, City of Keizer. At that time the State’s newest city, with 25,000 people and a high growth rate, Keizer had no in-house community development function. Mr. Morgan created the Community Development Department, and was also was the administrator of the Keizer Urban Renewal Agency. Significant projects involving major development and redevelopment were carried out under his leadership.
• Principal Planner, City of Salem. Mr. Morgan led the planning projects of the Public Works Department including all public facility planning. Emphasis was on transportation planning where Mr. Morgan served as the Port’s chief transportation planner and the author of the “Salem Transportation Plan.”
• Principal, Morgan, Ryan & Associates. Mr. Morgan’s consulting firm carried out planning projects throughout the State with an emphasis on comprehensive planning and development of zoning ordinances. The firm also managed hundreds of private planning projects.
• Associate Planner, City of Salem. Mr. Morgan was responsible for code administration and neighborhood planning for the City.
Professional Activities and Education
American Institute of Certified Planners
American Planning Association, national and local chapters
Oregon City/County Management Association
Oregon Planning Directors Association
The Luke Center for Catalytic Leadership, Executive Director
Willamette University graduate with a degree in political science and in urban and regional government